Translators without Borders is a unique non-profit organization that helps humanitarian organizations communicate more effectively with vulnerable populations in the right languages. TWB created the first translation and language program specifically for crisis response and is now deploying that program in northeast Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative and Logistics Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract length: initially 6 months, with the possibility of extension/ national position
Travel: some travel in northeast Nigeria
Reporting lines: The post holder will report to the Country Director.
TWB conducted an initial assessment of language support needs in the humanitarian response in northeast Nigeria in July 2017. This found very significant levels of need: in a context where people affected by the conflict and food crisis speak dozens of first languages, humanitarian communication is overwhelmingly in English and Hausa. Organizations lack basic information about the languages spoken and understood by affected people, and struggle to hire either language professionals or national staff and volunteers with the right language skills. So far, TWB has developed a protection glossary app, conducted comprehension testing with IDPs, worked with partners on collecting and mapping language data, and carried out training on the basics of interpreting.
The next step is to prepare the groundwork for setting up a full program of activities in support of affected people and the humanitarian community working with them. This entails developing a community of volunteer translators for relevant languages of northeast Nigeria, identifying skills development needs and carrying out initial training, and leading and coordinating translation and terminology development activities in support of and in liaison with humanitarian organizations.
- The Administration Officer will be responsible for providing general management support to the TWB
- Nigeria program. This includes, but is not limited to administrative, Human Resources, logistics and procurement support.
- Set up the country’s paper filing system and ensure its effective implementation
- Provide general administrative support as required including preparing written documentation, filing, note taking, arranging meetings etc.
- Purchase, manage and control the storage and issue of office supplies, stocks, and other office materials
- Organize equipment as and when required, coordinate any necessary maintenance as tasked
- Arrange training bookings, manage attendance records, distribute pre and post training information and other services associated to training support
- Carry out administrative tasks associated with monitoring and evaluation
- Support the office IT functions, providing basic IT support to colleagues
- Ensure all paperwork related to personnel records and systems are properly filed and kept up to date
- Support the HR Manager with recruitment administration such as posting advertisements, logging applications, coordinating interview arrangements and assisting with the new starter processes
- Assist the HR Manager to ensure that TWB in Nigeria is well informed and works within legal requirements
- Accurately collate any other information as required to assist with payroll preparation
Logistics and Procurement:
- Assist with the setup of an efficient logistics and procurement filing system, including asset management
- Support the team with procurement by completing administrative duties as directed including identifying suppliers, collecting quotations, preparing Purchase Request Forms and Local Purchase Orders, collecting goods, dispatching goods and organizing transportation where required
- Obtain quotes from local suppliers in an efficient and timely manner, and ensure that logistics procedures are followed at all times, adhering to TWB and donor procurement policies
- Maintain logistics records and file paperwork including asset register, purchase orders, waybills, asset register, receipts etc.
- Assist in managing travel and visas as required such as booking flights, amending flight reservations, booking hotels, arranging local permits, coordinating transport arrangements etc
- Support the Finance Officer by ensuring that receipts and other financial supporting documents are organised and kept properly
- Support the Country Director and the wider Country Management Team in tracking expenses
- In all the categories above, the post holder is expected to carry out any other duty as required
- Previous experience in an administration role, ideally in a support services role for another INGO
- Previous experience of procurement including identifying suppliers, etc.
- Previous experience completing logistics paperwork and record keeping
- Excellent administrative skills including ability to use MS Word and Excel, e-mail and other computer packages
- Ability to speak either Hausa or Kanuri is essential
- Strong written and spoken English is essential
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, be proactive and offer a solution-oriented approach
- Determined and committed to high quality standards
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
- Interest in and commitment to TWB’s humanitarian mandate
- Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: That these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.