- Company: Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
- State: Borno jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Manager
- The Advocacy Manager provides overall leadership, management and strategic direction to NRC’s policy and advocacy work in Nigeria.
- S/he is responsible for identifying priority protection concerns for advocacy, strengthening the incorporation of advocacy into all aspects of NRC’s activities and guiding NRC’s advocacy messaging to promote an improved in collaboration with the Protection coordinator protection and humanitarian response environment in Nigeria.
- The Advocacy Manager reports to the Country Director.
- Identify and coordinate NRC’s advocacy response to prioritised protection issues both within the country and internationally
- Develop and implement country-specific advocacy strategy, aligned to overall country strategy
- Line management, including development of staff if applicable
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between programmes and advocacy by working closely with programme staff to integrate advocacy into programme planning and implementation.
- Represent NRC to key stakeholders, strengthen strategic advocacy networks and identify opportunities to advocate NRC’s position
- Provide high quality protection analysis on key humanitarian and displacement trends and prepare evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements and other public-facing advocacy products when strategic and relevant
- Seek fundraising opportunities for advocacy and contribute to the development of quality proposals, ensuring inclusion of research and/or advocacy activities on specific humanitarian and protection issues affecting displacement-affected where appropriate
- Prepare high-quality key messages, briefings, letters and other written materials for internal and external use, ensuring strong evidence-base in messaging and following agreed sign-off procedures
- Support programme staff in incorporating and integrating advocacy into all aspects of NRC’s programme activities, strategy and budgeting
- Continuously identify and follow-up opportunities for influencing based on NRC Nigeria’s advocacy priorities, both in country and internationally through NRC’s Representation Offices;
- Post-graduate with minimum 5 years of relevant Manager/ Adviser experience within the humanitarian field
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Professional knowledge about protection principles and advocacy, and the use of media for public advocacy
- Strong managerial and interpersonal skills
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Solid understanding of international legal and policy processes relating to displacement
- Knowledge of the Lake Chad region
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities, particularly in analysis, drafting of messages, coordination and networking
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Coping with change
- Good sense of humour an asset.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: asap
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Level: Grade 9 in NRC grade structure
- Duty station:Maiduguri, with 30% travel
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
13th February, 2018.