Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Manager
Job Ref Code: MM181018
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Department: Early Recovery and Resilience
Reports To: Director, Early Recovery and Resilience
- Under the direction of the Agriculture livelihoods Adviser and the Director of Early Recovery and Resilience, the MEAL Manager will be responsible for all MEAL related activities for all recovery and resilience projects implemented by CRS in northeast Nigeria, including, but not limited to: designing MEAL systems, leading SMILER processes, monitoring progress on project indicators, elaboration of M&E tools, conducting needs/market/post activity assessments, beneficiary database management, recalibration of beneficiary targeting at project mid-point, development and implementation of accountability mechanism as well as compilation of monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly reports.
- The MEAL Manager will be based in Maiduguri with frequent trips to project areas and will report to the FTF Nigeria Integrated Agriculture Activity PM in Yola, working closely with the Emergency MEAL Coordinator, based in Maiduguri, and the Agriculture and livelihoods Adviser in Maiduguri.
Specific Job Responsibilities
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Design and manage Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system through providing high-quality technical support and leading the recovery MEAL team
- Facilitate to design and conduct of MEAL surveys including PDMs, evaluation, baselines and others related to the project; in close consultation with the recovery and resilience program and MEAL staff
- Develop or adapt project specific MEAL tools and carry out field testing where necessary.
- Track donor and CRS reporting requirements and deadlines and provide MEAL information to Program Managers for drafting reports.
- Determine role of all actors involved in providing technical support to project monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure consistency of standards, harmonization of information and input from beneficiaries and sharing of learnings.
- Maintain the project database and supervise related matters
- Facilitate to perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of data for project requirements
- Verify data for completeness, correctness and consistency and follow up on any data/program quality issues.
- Lead regular MEAL field visits to collect data with the help of partners, assess the application of MEAL tools, and assist in preparation of monthly/quarterly report to donors and CRS office.
- Identify bottlenecks in the program MEAL systems, recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through.
- Promote the use of Information Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) solutions throughout the project or digital data collection.
- Lead the development and implementation of feedback and response channels toreflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries of the project
- Coordinate and support emergency response for accountability specific requirements including accountability needs for distributions interventions
- Facilitate to orient program staff and partners on the basic principles and practices of beneficiary accountability.
- Identify, document, store and share lessons learned (this includes success story too) that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
- Conduct and document end of project learning reviews and share learning with stakeholders.
- Provide quality mentoring and coaching to early recovery MEAL staff and ensure that coaching and performance plans are completed on time and with adherence to CRS talent management quality standards.
- Together with the Emergency MEAL Coordinator/Manager, Director Early Recovery and Resilience, Agriculture and Livelihoods Adviser, Country Program MEAL Coordinator and PM, identify capacity building needs for staff/partners.
Qualifications and Skills
- University degree, preferably in Statistics, Information Management, Management, Social Sciences or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and
- Learning, preferably in humanitarian or development context.
- Proven track record and experience in developing M&E plan, systems and database using MS office applications (Excel or Access) and software applications.
- Strong knowledge and proven experience on developing and analyzing logical and conceptual framework.
- Ability to train partners and staff on developing and maintaining the M&E system.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
- Demonstrable understanding of and commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of vulnerable people.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to CRS’s values and guiding principles.
- Ability to manage complex workloads and deliver work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to travel frequently and stay in difficult environments
Key Working Relationship:
- Internal: Program Director, Agriculture and Livelihoods Adviser, Ag Livelihoods Program Manager, MEAL team, Integrated Agriculture Activity component 2 team lead, and other team leads
- External: project consortium staff, government workers, community leaders
Application Closing Date
5PM 31st October, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the “Application Form” below and send with a detailed Resume as one document in PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application.
Click here to download Application Form (MS Word)
Note: These positions are contingent upon the availability of funding