Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mental Health Coordinator
Location: Damboa, Borno
Line reports: N/A
Length of Contract: 6 Months
Possibility for Extension: Yes
- Under the supervision of Mental Health Coordinator, the Mental Health Supervisor will be responsible for the following main activities in order to ensure the quality of care in the mobile clinics:
- Contribute to the implementation and design of the overall mental health and psychosocial support strategies, activities and resources in Maiduguri.
- Facilitate the delivery of a quality mental health & psychosocial support (MHPSS) for individuals and their communities as well as to improve Communities mental health and psychosocial well-being.
- Contribute to the integration of MHPSS component into existing and new programs according to HQ Mental Health Strategy
- Supervise and provide technical follow-up to MdM MHPSS staff in Maiduguri
- Supervise and provide technical follow-up to MdM partner(s) MHPSS staff in Maiduguri
- Provide technical support to MdM France and Partner’s Maiduguri programs (specific MHPSS Program(s) and integration of the MHPSS component in existing or new programs)
- Plan, implement and follow up MHPSS activities implemented by MdM France staff /Partners
- Assess MHPSS needs of the communities and provide regular updates of the MHPSS main stakeholders in the Maiduguri strip
- Collaborate to the MHPSS technical content of the project proposals
- Assess needs of training for MdM France staff/partners and assist in organizing and/or in providing trainings accordingly
- Report MHPSS activities in Miaduguri according to MdM procedures
- Develop and/or adapt specific didactic materials for capacity building activities
- Keep and improve a referral system for MHPSS cases
- Keep and improve the current data collection system for MHPSS activities according with the needs of reporting
- Participate to specific mental health/psychosocial cluster meetings upon request from the direct supervisor.
- Attend technical meetings with partners upon request from the direct supervisor.
- Responsible for conduct annual appraisals of staff under his direct supervision.
- Responsible for the follow up and approval working hours and leaves of the staff under his supervision.
- Contribute to weekly / monthly activities reports to line manager (= Health Programme Coordinator)
- Report to the direct supervisor monthly (mental health activities report to be sent in the first week of the month).
- Apply and respect MDM security rules in the mission.
- Maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners.
- Attend team meetings and to give qualitative input.
- If necessary, contribute in preparing emergency plans with the MDM-F team to adjust MDM-F activities and medical resources to the needs.
- Take part in advocacy and communication activities under the supervision of his/her supervisor.
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Health Programme Coordinator and Medical coordinator.
- To behave with self-restraint at all times and respect the dignity of the beneficiaries.
- To be able to work as part of a team and participate in different activities.
- To believe in concepts of equity, human rights, neutrality and impartiality.
- Demonstrate motivation at work.
- Demonstrate willingness to improve own knowledge and skills by participating in any capacity building activities.
- Respect each team member’s position, work and specialty.
- Adapt to special situations or demands from supervisor.
- Ability to accept feedbacks and willingness to improve own capacities.As the main MHPSS focal point in MdM Maiduguri Office:
- Implement MHPSS Project activities with partner organizations by preparing and implementing action and training plans, supervision sessions, field visits, training materials, and reporting.
- Mapping of MHPSS programs and service providers in Maiduguri Strip.
- Report MHPSS Needs and Gaps in the Maiduguri Strip.
- Draft MH integration plans and materials for SRH Project; provide trainings, supervision and reports as needed.
- Draft EPP/ MH integration training plans and materials; provide training and supervision as needed.
- Prepare MHPSS Reports for Advocacy Users.
- Be educated to Degree level in Psychology, Counselling, Social Sciences, Community Development or related field from a recognized institution
- Minimum 4 years post-qualification experience in related work within an INGO or organization similar setting.
- Experience in MHPSS project implementation within an INGO setting
- Good knowledge of counseling and community mobilization methods and tools
- Good spoken and written English
- Good spoken and written Kanuri , with at least one other local language: Hausa and Marghi,
- Good communicator with proven organizational skills
- Previous experience in TOT
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team setting
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary
- Good computer skills (Microsoft word, Power Point and Excel)
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Fluent English and Hausa required.
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a two page Curriculum Vitae, three work-related references and one page cover letter, in One Document (MS Word or PDF) explaining how your skills and experience match the job requirements stated above to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please write the “Job Title and your Name” in the subject line.
- Only applications by email will be considered
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- We are unable to accept phone calls.
- We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- Please notice that if you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
- MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.